Judith Leiber Museum in East Hampton celebrates her designs in an exhibit that spans the 1960's to 2004. She was a Holocaust survivor who learned her artisan handbag making skills in Hungary.
With a very supportive husband, Judith Leiber brought her passion and skills to America, also with a goal of employing women in the trade. Many of her iconic bags were made in New York. The classic minaudieres, clutches and accessories have been seen on almost every First Lady in the past few decades as well as countless celebrities.
The museum of a real gem in the woods in East Hampton, Long Island. The location is part of their residence and also houses husband Gerson's artwork. There is a modest case on the first floor that houses some of her many fashion awards. The second floor contains a petite silver and crystal encrusted handbag that I was told was her absolute favorite among the many thousands of her career. It was the first bag she ever made in metal and crystals.
Back when I was designing for an embroidery house full-time, the Judith Leiber studio used several of my
designs in the collection, but this was already after the company had already been sold.
In addition to the handbags and artwork on display, there is a huge collection of Chinese artwork that the Leibers are fond of collecting. You can see this influence clearly in the shapes and motifs that were in Ms. Leiber's work from the 1980's onward.
If you catch a last weekend out in the Hamptons, definitely check this fashion exhibit out! For more information, take a look at their website here.
- Christian Louboutin - 20 Years of Design, Artistry...
- Nanette Lepore Resort and Swim 2014
- Judith Leiber - Artisan to Fashion Icon
- Project Runway Casting Season 13
- Noon By Noor Fall 2013
- NYC's Bright Side of Summer
- Richard Chai Fall 2013
- DIY: Crystallized French Riviera Floral
- FAB Exclusive: How Does Zang Toi Create Embellishe...
- Jill Stuart Fall 2013
- Harlem Week - Fashion Flava
- How to Brighten Your Summer Staples
- J. Mendel Fall 2013
- Top 5 Fashionable Cartoons
- Vote For The Winner of Hpnotiq's Bling It On Conte...
- Shark Style Shopping Guide
- Costume Design - Persol Magnificient Obsessions
- Peroni Young Designer Competition at MADE Fashion ...
- Exhibit: Lingerie Francaise
- Summer Shopping - Sample Sales
- Gee Beauty Lounge
- ▼ August (21)
- ► 2012 (294)
- ► 2011 (185)
- ► 2010 (262)
- ► 2009 (21)