Musee Les Arts Decoratifs in Paris recaptures many of them.
I think of minimalism, avant-garde and 'deconstructed' clothes from that time. The rise of the Belgian designers (Ann Demeulemeester, Martin Margiela, Dries Van Noten). Yohji Yamamoto's sculpted pieces, Comme des Garcon's cerebral outfits and pleats from Issey Miyake are represented here as well.
Did those trends not appeal to you? The 1990's were also the height of popularity for Jean Paul Gaultier's tongue-in-cheek fashion. It was the debut of Tom Ford's reign of Gucci. Azzedine Alaia was one of the hottest designers, making it into ultimate 90's teen film "Clueless". Christian Lacroix was a sculpted explosion of color worshiped by the ladies of "Absolutely Fabulous".
The exhibit runs until May 8, 2011. Make it over there if you can, or peruse some of the exhibit images online.
Photos By Dominique Maitre for WWD
- ► 2013 (288)
- ► 2012 (294)
- ► 2011 (185)
- Circumpolar Shoe Fetish - Arctic Style and Functio...
- A Skater, Chocolates and a Designer Walk Into A Ba...
- Furry Boots Round-Up - Jimmy Choo, Tory Burch, Cou...
- Happy Holidays from Ms. FABulous
- Fashionable Aesthetics: Wearable Technology
- Costumes of Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark – Rise an...
- Japan Fashion Now Exhibit at the Museum at FIT
- Kate Middleton's Wedding Gown Designer
- Starring Theia Brides & Designer Giveaway!
- Fab Sales Alert: Alexander Wang, Y-3, Marc Jacobs
- Atelier Swarovski Celebration
- FAB Exclusive: Elle Fanning on Fashion, Vintage an...
- Sofia Coppola's Fashionable Premiere for Somewhere...
- Miss America and the Bottomless Closet
- Fashion Blogger Shoutout - Holiday Shopping with H...
- Pratt + Paper & Ralph Pucci Exhibit
- Tommy Hilfiger Holiday Shopping Party
- Rodarte Costumes for Black Swan
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert Broadway Costumes
- ShoeFete Vegan Shoe Party!
- I Love the 90's - An Ideal History of Contemporary...
- ▼ December (21)
- ► 2009 (21)